Friday, February 8, 2013

Speak Simply

The American language is complicated.
I've always kind of known this, but it wasn't until yesterday in one of my classes that I realized...
English is really screwed up.

For example: We all know that there are different gender-oriented people and they all have labels and/or names. Lesbian, gay, homosexual, transgender, etc.
Over the years, we've invented these different words to cater to the wants of different people and their sexual orientations. And that's completely ok.
But what gets me, is that now there's a few new words.
Ze and hir.
Ze, is in place of he/she, and hir is in place of him/her.

Can you use it in a sentence?
Ze looked really fine today, I really wish I could talk to hir.
If someone is a girl, I'm going to say she/her.
If someone is a guy, I'm going to say he/him.
Simple as that.
Not because I want to hurt the feelings of those who don't identify with either gender or be politically incorrect, but because I don't feel there's a necessity to complicate things anymore than they already are.

What doesn't make sense to me, is that our language is already so messed up that I don't feel the need to continue adding bullshit words (excuse my language) to further confuse people. I honestly feel bad for other people that come to our country and have to learn English, because it is so hard. I would much rather stick to Spanish for the rest of my life, because at least it makes sense.

End rant.

With all that being said, I think that we all to often aid in the confusion of our language.
Granted, we all have different accents, meanings for words, and things are just different depending on which part of the country you're from.
But in a world of complicated things, why can't we just make one more of them simple?

I love writing, and I really enjoy being eloquent.
But that doesn't mean I need to jumble everything, use enormous words and confuse the heck out of people.

So speak simply.
You never know who is listening, or who is learning from you.

Love always,
Suz

No comments: