Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Surprises

Today was just one big surprise.

I left at 6 a.m. from Mosocw, headed for home, not quite sure what to expect on my long drive.

My list of surprises goes as follows:

At 6:28 (MST) I crested Lewiston Hill and witnessed one of the most beautiful sunrises I've ever seen.
I didn't expect to get to see it, because it was so cloudy.
But just as I got to the top of the hill, at the point where you can see for miles and miles around you, it happened. The sun broke through every single cloud in the sky, and the colors flooded the dark hills and brought them to life.
And it was a wonderful way to start the morning.

The next surprise wasn't really a surprise.
Or pleasant.
Coming down off the hill, I caught a whiff of what smelled like the biggest batch of the most German-like sauerkraut you'll ever smell in your life.
It wasn't a surprise, because Lewiston always smells like that.
And it wasn't pleasant, because I don't like sauerkraut.

I was surprised that the roads were completely clear.
I half expected them to be covered in snow in most places, making it a treacherous drive.
I was extremely thankful that the prayer I'd prayed this morning for dry roads had been answered.

Something that continually surprises me, is the absolute beauty of the state I live in.
I've made the drive south more times than I can count, but it never fails to take my breath away when I come around the corner at the very tip top of White Bird Hill.






















I don't usually stop, but this time I did.
I've never been so happy to get out of my warm car, and stand on the tip of a cold mountain and experience all of God's glory and creation as I was today.

But the greatest surprise of the day came at the end of my journey, when I finally got home.
You see, I didn't tell my parents I was making the trip down here.

I arrived at the church where my parents were setting up for Scouts, and my dad almost didn't even say hello, even though I pulled the car right up next to him, and made eye contact with him. He did a double take and then realized that it was me standing there, hugged me and very promptly told me to kick my brother's butt when I got home.

I walked inside to find my mom in one of the Sunday School rooms, and she peeked out from behind the doorway she was standing in. She looked at me, looked away, looked back at me and stared at me for a solid 25 seconds before realizing I was standing there, in the flesh. She dropped everything she had, hugged me longer than I think she's ever hugged me before, and cried a few tears of joy.

A surprise that was caused by me, was by far my favorite one of the day.

Surprises come in all shapes and sizes.
Some are more enjoyable than others,
All are gifts from God, and things that will ultimately help us understand this life better.
But we should always remember to look forward to them, because if anything, they make our lives more exciting.

Love always,
Suz

No comments: